CasPASE Apoptosis Colorimetric Assay™
The CasPASE™ Apoptosis Colorimetric Assay provides a simple and easy to follow method for assaying
caspases 1-10, a key early indicator of apoptosis in mammalian cells.
The assay is based on the detection of cleavage of a synthetic substrate, which is labeled with the
chromophore ρ-nitroaniline (ρNA) at the C-terminal. When liberated from the peptide, ρNA produces an
optical change that can be detected by reading the absorbance at 405nm.
The reaction is selectively and irreversibly inhibited by the peptide Z-VAD-FMK. Comparison of the
absorbance of an induced / apoptotic sample with an uninduced control allows one to determine the fold-
increase in protease activity. The Caspase activity can also be quantitated by using a standard curve
established with the free ρNA dye.
CasPASE™ assays are available for caspase enzymes 1 through 10. Each CasPASE™ assay kit is supplied
with necessary assay buffers, enzyme specific ρNA-substrate, free dye (ρNA), and the potent caspase
inhibitor Z-VAD-FMK for establishing proper positive and negative controls and standards.
Fluorescent Caspase Assays are also available.
• Assays for caspase enzymes 1 through 10 are available
• Colorimetric detection (405nm)
• Conveniently adaptable for high-throughout 96-well format
• All kits supplied with enzyme specific (ρNA) & inhibitor Z-VAD-FMK
• Monitor apoptosis by measuring various caspase activities in cells and tissues
• Use with purified enzyme preparations, cell extracts, and tissue lysates
• Characterization of caspase enzymes
Instruction sheet (pdf)