CytoScan™ - WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay
CytoScan™ WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay is a sensitive and accurate assay for cell proliferation and
cytotoxicity. The assay is highly convenient as it is performed in a single cell tissue culture well and
requires no washing, harvesting or solubilization of cells.
Adherent or suspension cells are cultured in a microplate and then incubated with WST-1 and the assay is
monitored with a spectrophotometer. The assay principle is based upon the reduction of the tetrazolium salt
WST-1 to formazan by cellular dehydrogenases (see figure below). The generation of the dark yellow
colored formazan is measured at 420-480nm (optimal at 440nm) and is directly correlated to cell number.
• Uses WST-1, a high sensitivity tetrazolium salt.
• Colorimetric assay.
• Adherent or suspension cells.
• No washing, harvesting or solubilization required.
• For the detection of cell toxicity, death, viability or proliferation.
• Ideal for high throughout screening
• Hsieh, C. et al (2014) Food Funct. 5: 2494
• Schweigmann, H. et al (2014) J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 143:259
• Galas, R.J. and Liu, J. (2014) J. Cell. Biochem. 115:111
• Kuo, C. et al (2013) Allergy. 68:870
• Chen, Y. et al (2013) Langmuir. 29:3721
• Hagmann, W. et al (2011) Cancers. 3:106
• Neelofar, K. et al (2011) Can. J. Microbiol. 57:204
• Li, H. et al (2009) Mol Cancer Ther 8:3255